Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tennis

Ay-yi-yi. (Is that how you spell that?)





It's been a long time since this old lady has played tennis.



Me and my good ole' tennis partner, circa 2003


I've mentioned before that I'm hardly an athlete -- that working out just is not my idea of a good time -- and that I'm not as coordinated as one should be to attempt any type of game or sport. But tennis . . . well, I've played tennis before, so I guess it's the only semi-athletic thing that I can/like/will participate in.



It started shortly before high school. I was told by an uncle of mine who had a son at the Naval Academy that playing a high school varsity sport would help get me in to college. So, being that I was very college driven, I felt that I had to pick a sport.

Soccer? Tried that -- a lot of running, and I wasn't very good when I did get the ball.
Softball? Tried that too -- hated every minute.
Track? Forget it -- wouldn't voluntarily run or jump unless someone ruthless and dangerous was chasing me.
Basketball? Again, waaaay to much running and jumping for me.
Tennis? Hey -- maybe that could work . . . and, even if I don't get to play on the team so much, at least I'd look really cute in my little tennis skirt while sitting on the sidelines.



I started taking tennis lessons at age 14. I took lessons on and off for about 2 years, then I joined my high school's team. I found that doubles tennis was a lot more fun -- and less individual pressure -- and that I could probably make Varsity quickly if I was willing to play doubles. That was all it took. I played the #2 line of Varsity Doubles for my sophomore and junior years of high school. Oh, and I did I mention? My high school was not knowing for their stellar tennis teams. As a matter of fact, if I had gone to just about any other high school in the area, there is no WAY I would have made the team.



I played those 2 years in high school and figured, "A Varsity letter in Tennis and 2 years on the team -- that should be enough for a college recruiter to appreciate." And that was that.



About 6 years later, I was a new college graduate, and many of my college buddies and their friends about town were looking to form a competitive ladies tennis team. They were all of average ability -- they needed a player -- and I needed an excuse to buy more tennis skirts. I joined the ranks of ALTA Tennis and played faithfully each Sunday morning for a few seasons. I really enjoyed it -- I had a partner that I played so well with, and our team WON a lot of matches. I still was not the greatest player in the world (or on the TEAM -- or even on the court during any particular game -- for that matter), but I liked it.



Then I got engaged, got busy with wedding planning, and didn't know where I was going to live after getting married . . . so I hung up my racket. I thought I might be taking a few seasons off, but I wasn't really sure. And, again, that was that.



Now it's been 7 years. I've had 2 babies, 2 houses, and 2 different careers. And somehow, I have let someone else talk me into playing tennis again. I find myself digging out my skirts once more, and this time, the teams is serious and the ladies are all good players.



I'm rustier than I could have ever imagined. I haven't played in ages. It all feels so foreign. But I'm trying. Like I said, I never was a GREAT player to begin with . . . and now there are 7 long years standing between me and my once kinda decent ability. Yikes.



Wish me luck. The first game is next week.

And please don't say, "Break a Leg . . ." because I might actually do that in an effort to make an excuse for my horrible playing ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment