Thursday, October 7, 2010

Just Thursday

It's Thursday. Played tennis this morning . . . but I don't really want to write about that. Didn't win. Played well, had fun . . . and, as we tell Big on the Soccer field, that's what it's all about.

Enjoying the newly created car pool that my neighbor and I have set up. For the past two weeks, she's been dropping off and picking up my girls each Tues/Thurs. Now for the next few weeks, it's my turn. I tell you what: car pooling is worth every penny we paid for the new car with more seats. The 'off' days are heaven! So today I played tennis and did not have to worry about who was going to get my kids at preschool. Nice.


The in-laws arrive in the morning. It's just a weekend visit, but we have seemed to find a way to cram a lot of stuff into 72 hours. Football game, pumpkin patch, and soccer are 3 of the items on our agenda. I hope the girls are up for it all. I hope their mommy is, too. I've already thought about keeping Big home from preschool on Monday so she can recover.

We had a play date with a neighbor today, and I left drooling over her house. It's beautiful. She's lived in the 'Hampton for 8 years . . . so she's had time to update and modify her home. Did I mention it's beautiful? I came home to my green sofa and white kitchen and was instantly envious of her lovely decor. I tried to remind myself that we've been too busy moving in and having babies to have time to decorate like she has . . . we will get to it someday. The grass is always greener, as they say.


Enjoyed the play date (after getting over the home envy). Big and her friend play so well together -- and they even let Little participate. I got to stay and chat with my neighbor, who I adore and feel I have a lot in common with. She told me she and her husband are trying for a 3rd child. I told her that I guess Jim and I should go ahead and have a 3rd kid or else we will be one of very few families in the 'Hampton that only have 2. Don't want to feel like and underachiever . . . I mean really. Many of my neighbors just had, are pregnant with, or are actively talking about their 3rd kid. I've heard that "3" is the new "2" when it comes to kids . . . but the old "2" might be just fine with us.


Had left over lasagna for dinner tonight. I'm thrilled that my children have come around to liking Stouffer's lasagna. Yes, the frozen kind. It's a super easy back up meal that I can keep on hand for nights when I just don't feel like really cooking. Both Big and Little gobbled it up early this week, and they were equally as pleased the second time around. I think I have Garfield to thank for this . . . ever since we discovered his cartoons on TV, Big has been in love with him. As soon as I mentioned lasagna for dinner, she was screaming, "That's what Garfield loves!" and then proceeded to eat her entire entree. And Little, in true Little fashion, was super excited because her big sister was super excited. Thanks, Garfield. Maybe I can find another cartoon role model that gobbles up salads, casseroles, and Mexican dishes . . . more non-faves of my kiddos.


Read some of our fall stories to the girls at bedtime tonight. As soon as I opened up and distributed our fall seasonal decor, I uncovered a handful of seasonal books that I had totally forgotten about. I was instantly impressed with myself for putting these stories away at the end of last autumn. It gives us something fresh and timely to read these days -- something that is as nice for me as it is for the girls. "Pumpkin Town" is a favorite, as is "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat". I'd like to thank myself publicly for being so cool and stashing those books away this time last year.


And that's it. Just Thursday around here.

2 comments:

  1. Popeye likes spinach ... I'm just saying! And your house is gor-geous. I have home envy when I come to your house ... so don't worry. ANd if you have another baby, I want o hold him/her. A lot. My itch is killing me ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving all those girly clothes you gave me for your third!

    ReplyDelete